Pages

How to Find Excel Phantom Links - Part 2

Some time ago I've written about some techniques to eliminate Phantom Links in Excel.
Well, the steps described in my previous article - Here - had always solved my problems... until 2 days ago!

While I was updating a workbook, I had to change a database source from 2016 to 2017 (different Excel file but with same structure), so I just clicked the Edit Links button and that Change Source. As soon as Excel had changed all the links to the 2017 database file, I unexpectedly realized that a link to the 2016 database file was still showing in the Edit Links dialog box!
I've tried every single tactic mentioned on my previous article but I just couldn't find and kill the "Phantom link". I was exchanging some thoughts with a colleague who mentioned a couple more tactics that could solve the problem.



  • Search for formulas referencing external workbooks:
    Right-click on any sheet tab >> left-click Select All Sheets >> press Ctrl+F and in the Find What field enter  =[    or  !

    This will look through all sheets for formulas referencing external workbooks. You have assure that there are no hidden sheets.

  • Conditional formatting formulas:
    Go in to Conditional Formatting >> Manage Rules  >> Show Formatting Rule for: this worksheet and remove the rules which refer to the external link





No comments:

Post a Comment